2005 Unintended Rebuild...

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Skidmarks, Dec 31, 2023.

1. Skidmarks

Skidmarks Active Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Male
    IT/OT Analyst
    Wichita, KS
    Ratings:
    +208 / 0 / -0
    #1 Skidmarks, Dec 31, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
    In July 2023 my Mini started going into limp mode, an off/on of the ignition would reset and it would go again, but it kept getting worse over a couple of days. This was my daily driver, so I quick began troubleshooting and found a video explaining that it was most likely the crank pulley.

I pulled that apart and sure enough it was separated into two pieces. I ordered the Cravenspeed solid pulley as a replacement and a puller tool. The problem began when the puller, unknown to me was missing a rod to go into the crank and allow the tool to push off the pulley.

I cut down a bolt that fit and pressed off the pulley...the error I made was that the bolt was not hardened steel and mushroomed inside the crank. It was a stupid mistake made in being in a rush to get it done.

(not sure how to insert inline photos)

Attached Files:

2. Skidmarks

Skidmarks Active Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Male
    IT/OT Analyst
    Wichita, KS
    Ratings:
    +208 / 0 / -0
    #2 Skidmarks, Dec 31, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
    I looked for a replacement crank, but the cost of the crank and then the cost to rebuild the engine seemed way too high. My next plan was to buy a car from CoPart, I found some great examples that I could use parts from to upgrade other parts like my wheels and seats.

Shipping didn't seem like a feasible option, so I planned to tow the car back myself. This only made sense as I would need a vehicle to drive while fixing the Mini.

I found a 2008 Cadillac EXT truck, and picked it up in early August. Great truck and now my daily.

The CoPart option fell Apart as I learned about all the additional fees and how the auctions actually worked. I went with plan B and bought a used engine from Ebay. I used to the truck to haul it home, so of course that justified that purchase even more. :)

Attached Files:

3. Skidmarks

Skidmarks Active Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Male
    IT/OT Analyst
    Wichita, KS
    Ratings:
    +208 / 0 / -0
    The 'new' engine was from a pre-facelift 2003 with similar mileage, but from the time of the auction listing to time of delivery it had obviously sat outside and had some oxidation on the aluminum parts and rust on the iron. This wouldn't do, so I decided to rebuild the top end and replace parts from my clean shiny '05 engine over to the '03 engine.

"While I'm in there" I ordered an RMW 250 cam, as well as $1500 in seals, gaskets, head studs, etc.

This was in October...why so long, well most of August was spent deciding what to do and shopping for the engine, September was spent traveling for work and we took a family vacation.

4. Skidmarks

Skidmarks Active Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Male
    IT/OT Analyst
    Wichita, KS
    Ratings:
    +208 / 0 / -0
    Once I pulled the head off the '05 to swap it over I found the exhaust valves were coated with crystalized ethanol, more likely methanol. The car has a methanol injection system...

at least two valves were stuck open, which explains why it had a 'bit' of a rough idle.

Attached Files:

5. Skidmarks

Skidmarks Active Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Male
    IT/OT Analyst
    Wichita, KS
    Ratings:
    +208 / 0 / -0
    I already had a powerflex performance bushing kit, so I pulled the front subframe and rebuilt that, replacing the power steering hoses.

The head rebuild took longer than expected due to travel for work, and dread/procrastination.

That lands me where I am today...the engine is all back together, the transmission needs all the old oil and grease cleaned off of it. Then I can pull the engine off the stand and install the new clutch and solid flywheel.

I am waiting on some coolant hoses and gaskets for the exhaust. I haven't posted for a while, but I thought if I made this project more public it may motivate me to spend some time in the F'n cold garage and drag this across the finish line. Plus I may have a line on a Fiat X1/9 project to fill the shop space...won't the wife be thrilled!

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    What an awesome New Years Eve story!! Now get off the computer and get finished!:D
    As far as X1/9 goes great cars! Here’s mine, it’s an 86
    083A0565.jpeg

7. Skidmarks

Skidmarks Active Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Male
    IT/OT Analyst
    Wichita, KS
    Ratings:
    +208 / 0 / -0
    Great looking car. The one I may have is a true barn find - people bought a house and it had the car in the garage on jackstands and they want it gone. No idea on the condition, haven't seen it yet.

8. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,029 / 6 / -5
    What a great find. Lots of times the car got left in a field or behind a building and the weather ruins it but to get one that’s been in a garage on jack stands is a plus.

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Someone left an X behind! Crazy! That is my third X. Italian cars are my roots. Keep us posted on the X1/9. They are a blast you can’t go wrong with one.

10. Skidmarks

Skidmarks Active Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Male
    IT/OT Analyst
    Wichita, KS
    Ratings:
    +208 / 0 / -0
    Got the new flywheel and clutch installed, hoses were the wrong ones, maybe my mistake I'll have to check the order.

Super cold, but the engine is off the stand, need to get some grease for the shaft and throwout bearing. If I can get the garage warm I hope to have the engine and trans in this weekend.

11. Skidmarks

Skidmarks Active Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Male
    IT/OT Analyst
    Wichita, KS
    Ratings:
    +208 / 0 / -0
    #11 Skidmarks, Jan 12, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2024
    View attachment 47570 Oh, and the Fiat was an 850 Sport, rusty and a caved in roof, I see why they left it behind and I passed on that money pit.

12. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I have a kerosene heater for my garage but if it’s real could it has trouble keeping up. Sounds like you are moving along well.

13. Skidmarks

Skidmarks Active Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Male
    IT/OT Analyst
    Wichita, KS
    Ratings:
    +208 / 0 / -0
    Got the engine and transmission in the car, now just working out the electrical and plumbing. I was traveling and hung up for weeks on having eight extra bolts I could not figure out where they were missing. Turns out I had a bag labled trans bolt and a bag labeled flywheel bolts. I knew I bolted and torqued the flywheel so what were the other transmission bolts? Long story short, the new engine had short flywheel bolts on the crank, must have had an aftermarket flywheel because the transmission bolts were the stock flywheel bolts.

Once I was sure I didn't need to blow it all apart again I've dropped it in and getting hoses and wires routed, then the subframe back in as well.

14. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,029 / 6 / -5
    What a great feeling that must have been realizing that you didn’t have take everything apart a second time.

15. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,029 / 6 / -5
    Hope you have it up running soon.

16. Skidmarks

Skidmarks Active Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Male
    IT/OT Analyst
    Wichita, KS
    Ratings:
    +208 / 0 / -0
    got it all back together and running. I have a coolant leak, odd thing is that it is where the aircon conditioner mounts.
    If I loosen that bolt coolant pours out, with it tight it drips once per second. I can't find anything on a sleeve or seal that is missing there.

17. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Glad you got it running. I looked at real oem and did not see anything. I hope it’s an easy fix and not a cracked water jacket. Is there coolant in the oil?

18. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,029 / 6 / -5
    Not knowing why its leaking but Permatex #2 is used when a bolt goes through a water jacket.

19. Skidmarks

Skidmarks Active Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Male
    IT/OT Analyst
    Wichita, KS
    Ratings:
    +208 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, out of town for the week, but I was thinking of using Permatex when I got home.

20. Skidmarks

Skidmarks Active Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Male
    IT/OT Analyst
    Wichita, KS
    Ratings:
    +208 / 0 / -0
    Applied the permatex to the holes and bolts and that seems to have sealed the leak.

Took it for a drive tonight, maybe a slight exhaust leak, replaced the gaskets and bolts, I'll see if I can tighten that up.

Need to bed in the new clutch and flywheel before I lean on it. I have the meth injection turned off for now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List