My ride for the day..

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by Ernesto, Dec 24, 2023.

1. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +674 / 0 / -0
    It was warm in Chicagoland today..

I got a chance to drive a friends 1962 Ford Anglia Super 123E this morning.. A right-hand drive rally car.
    It's loud and buzzy but a ton of fun to drive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,029 / 6 / -5
    Great looking ride !!

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    That is very cool!

4. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +674 / 0 / -0
    I've had the chance to drive a whole bunch of unusual old British cars from a friend who owns several and he likes to take them all out to car shows together..

I could post pics of them now or later next year as I get a chance to drive them again in the spring/summer.

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    How I do love rally cars. Raises them to a whole nother level for me. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Post the pictures we would all love to seem them!

7. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +674 / 0 / -0
    This is a 1954 Sunbeam Alpine I got to drive several times about 5 years ago.
    The styling was amazing.. power from a big 4-cylinder engine was ok. The aftermarket power-steering was overboosted, and brakes were fair.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Beautiful car. I am reading Brock Yates book on Enzo Ferrari. When they were going from cable brakes to hydraulic, one of the Italian drivers said, I don’t care about brakes I only care about going fast. Or something along those lines:D

9. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Brakes just slow you down.... ;)

10. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,029 / 6 / -5
    Yah….brakes are a real drag. :D

11. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +674 / 0 / -0
    This is a 1949 Singer.. Right hand drive and it has a wooden frame. The current owner had it repainted/restored. The dashboard is made from a solid piece of wood that was harvested from a peat bog which preserved the wood for thousands of years..

Fourth gear is a little tricky for me because it cuts into the space I like to rest my clutch leg.. It works, but a tight fit. The car is low enough that I can just about touch the ground while seated

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Beautiful LBC.... :)
    It looks like Singer tried to make a copy of the MG TC. I noticed in a couple of pictures it looks like his cars are parked next to the same Triumph Herold, is that his too?

13. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +674 / 0 / -0
    Yes it is.. that will be a review for another day, perhaps tomorrow ;-)

14. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +674 / 0 / -0
    This is a 1960 Triumph Herald. The owner performed most of this restoration himself about 10 years ago as his first and last restoration.
    With a small 848cc engine the car is by no means fast, but it makes great Triumph sounds when running it thru the gears. The cable attached throttle is a bit sloppy, but the shifter and brakes are really nice. The car gets an extraordinary amount of attention from women at car shows, and it is primarily used by the owners wife.

[​IMG]

Click on this picture below for a short driving video..

[​IMG]2021 june drive video by Ernesto Vumbles, on Flickr

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    While not crazy about Heralds I do think they are kind of cool in a quirky way. Basically sitting on the same frame that was later used under a Spitfire. I believe there was a version with a 6 cylinder lump called the Vitesse.

Thanks for sharing the pictures of these cars. Really enjoying them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +674 / 0 / -0
    Here is a 1950 Morris Minor Tourer. It was designed by Alec Issionis before he designed the the classic Mini.
    This is one of the owner's most easygoing cars.. Starts and runs all the time without issues or fuss. It is usually the first car for any of his "guest drivers" to drive before moving on to other cars. The pedals are very close together, and the steering is light and direct. The shift lever is long and you need to keep your hand under the shift ball in first gear or risk rapping your knuckles into the dashboard ;-)
    It is a very pleasant car to drive as long as you aren't in a hurry with it's 900cc engine.
    Fun fact.. The Morris Minor was widened by 4 inches shortly before production started, but the bumpers had already been produced. The solution was to cut the center of the bumpers and add a small extension piece to make everything fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +674 / 0 / -0
    The Lotus Europa has been a favorite car of mine since childhood. I've had a chance to drive a couple of them over the years.
    This is a 1974 twin cam John Player Special.
    Although there is plenty of legroom, the cockpit is small. Your head is just about at the tiny back window and your fingers can touch the windshield while still holding the steering wheel. The center console area is almost as wide as the seats (which is essentially where the frame of the car exists) and the pedals are super close to each other.. I have to drive using the side of my foot to ensure I am only pressing on one pedal at a time. The shifter throws are very short and the gear selection is vague (at least it was on the two I have driven). Shifting worked better as the revs come up a bit but still require a measured pace between the gears.
    The car is super light and everything is a bit squeaky/rattley. Despite being only about 120-ish horsepower the car is very peppy and the engine sounds behind your ears are fantastic. Visibility to the sides and back isnt great, and the small steering wheel has is super responsive.. the car wants to change direction just by taking your hand off the wheel to shift gears. Expressway driving in traffic is an interesting experience due to the very low seating position and directness of the steering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I love those cars! The black and gold really sets off the lines on it. You have described my Exige to a T. It’s funny all the years between the cars and they are so much the same, with the exception of the middle console. Driving my Lotus I have to wear driving shoes of take my left shoe off.
    This is a great thread. Thanks!

19. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +674 / 0 / -0
    I'm enjoying doing these short picture reviews.. Hope you-all dont mind the non MINI activity in the quiet season.

I've driven a couple other more modern Lotuses and there are more older British cars to come..

20. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,029 / 6 / -5
    The John Player Special is a very interesting car but what can you tell us about the beautiful Red MINI in the background ?? :D:D